Saturday, August 20, 2011

Today's the Day

Today's the day...the phone call that will either eliminate my fears, or create a whole new set. Around 10:15 a.m., the phone rang. I immediately knew that the strange Macon cell number showing up on my phone was THE CALL.

After the niceties and apologies, I was told what I already knew..."You have cancer". It's amazing how three words can totally change the path your life takes.

I have been diagnosed with "Invasive Ductal" Breast Cancer. The tumor is a type 2 tumor, meaning that its growth is described as medium. It's not fast growing, but not slow growing. Additional pathology reports will not be available until Wednesday. From there, we will know about the estrogen, progesterone, and HER 2. The next step is to have a MRI, which the nurse will call to schedule on Monday.

I am relatively young in terms of breast cancer, have no family history of breast cancer in my family, and breast fed all three of my children. How did I get breast cancer?

Fortunately, my surgeon serves as chair of a Breast Cancer Consortium. This Wednesday, surgeons, oncologists, plastic surgeons, and more from the Southeast will gather together for a consortium meeting. By God's hand, my case will be presented to these great minds. According to Dr. Martin, it's like getting twenty free second opinions all at the same time.

Based upon the remaining pathology results, MRI results, and consortium discussion, a treatment plan will be devised. Dr. Martin did say if it was his wife, he would recommend a double mastectomy. This is the same advice that my sister and physician already gave. Dr. Martin also said that he works with wonderful reconstruction plastic surgeons, and that with treatment, I should live a long and healthy life!

No comments: