Saturday, August 27, 2011

Life's A Country Song

Music is an important part of my life.  Whether it was hearing mom play the piano at home or church, or hearing Daddy sing a "solo" (so-low no one could hear him!), there was always music.  At my home, we almost always have some type of music on.  XM Radio in the car (generally Radio Disney if I'm out-voted), a music channel on the television, or Pandora Internet Radio, my life is filled with music.  Let's also not forget Adelia practicing her flute, Griffen playing the keyboard, and Arleigh thinking she's the next Katy Perry!

I really like country music.  It's like storytelling with a beat.  Patsy Cline, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, Sugarland,and Alabama are some favorites.  We're always told that the popularity of country music is because it "relates to the common 'folk".  There are some general music themes within the country genre that relate to everyone.  We all go through periods of sadness, heartbreak, excitement, new love, etc.. but then there are also themes that don't relate to me...my dog didn't run off, I'm not drinking beer with the boys, or wallowing in my self misery 'cause he left!

My children also like country music.  Arleigh's favorite song is "Stuck Like Glue", by Sugarland, which certainly describes her relationship with her Daddy.  Jeff favors Willie Nelson's melodic tunes (I like him, but try not to think about the greasy-looking long braids while listening to his smooth country twang.)  Griffen is a huge bluegrass fan, while Adelia likes Taylor Swift's storytelling on her albums.

I was recently told about this video by a "pink sister", a new friend who is a breast cancer survivor.  Over the past week, I have become acquainted with many breast cancer survivors.  Some are the mothers of friends, acquaintances of acquaintances, ladies I have met on breast cancer web sites, and through the power of Facebook.  Even though many of them are strangers, we have one thing in common...we are now "Pink Sisters", bound by the life-changing diagnosis of breast cancer.

So perhaps my life is a country song after all...and it's called "I'm Gonna Love You Through It",written by Ben Hayslip, Jimmy Yeary and Sonya Isaacs, performed by Martina McBride.  This song says it all...

She dropped the phone and burst into tears / The doctor just confirmed her fears / Her husband held it in and held her tight / Cancer don’t discriminate or care if you’re just 38 / With three kids who need her in their lives / He said, ‘I know that you’re afraid and I am, too / But you’ll never be alone, I promise you,’”

When you’re weak, I’ll be strong / When you let go, I’ll hold on / When you need to cry, I swear that I’ll be there to dry your eyes / When you feel lost and scared to death, like you can’t take one more breath / Just take my hand, together we can do this / I’m gonna love you through it,”

Here's Martina McBride's Video:

 

Thank you for loving me through it all!

TTFN,
-S

P.S.  The Greyhounds lost last night 27-20, but the band was great!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelby,
It is as if she wrote this song just for you! Am loving your blog. Thanks for writing it.
Ann

MariAnna said...

Sounds like a great husband, But I as I read the words it made me think of our God. He will never leave you or forsake you. There will be time over the next months when your Husband will not be able to go with you, when your wheeled back for surgery, when you are in the room by yourself, when you are driving, But OUR God will be there with you, holding you, wiping away the tears, loving you. Praying for you, MyHero

vickie said...

I am so glad you found this song. I know it means so much to you right now. Prayers and Hugs